Sunday, November 8, 2015

Deutschland 83

As I am emerging from a crazy period, my brain space is starting to clear.  Of course, I will attempt to blog more because I simply like blogging.  Sending that intention out to the universe...

One of the other things I enjoy doing is watching clever television which can be challenging to find. Over the summer, Phil was scrolling through the guide & came across a show that was "in German with English Subtitles".   Of course, we were totally intrigued & it ended up being the fourth episode of Deutschland 83.

Deutschland 83 was a joint project between Sundance & RTL, Germany's largest television network, and is the first German language show to be broadcast in the US. The premise is a young East German native, Martin, is recruited by the Stasi to spy on the West in 1983. Watching it was like falling into a black hole and landing square in 1983.  Everything from the sets to the music to the socio-political issues, they nailed it.  Creator Anna Winger said it wasn't that difficult to find backdrops for the scenes as much of what was East Berlin still looks like East Berlin.

As we jumped in halfway through the season, we had a hard time following along. So, we took the plunge & purchased the entire series from iTunes. It was a leap of faith but totally worth it.  I've started watching it again and I realize that I missed so many subtle details during the first run.  Oddly, I am forming a real attachment to the series - the kind of attachment that I only have with music. Aside from the intelligent writing, there were a handful things that struck me through the series:

1. The colors on the sets - When Martin wakes up in West Germany, everything is brightly colored.  It reminded me of the Radiohead video for "Fake Plastic Trees" - big, bold, & clean

2. Toblerone - Martin has a Toblerone for the first time and eats it like a Snickers. I rewound that scene multiple times because I could not get my mind around somebody eating a Toblerone like that.  You're supposed to break off each peak individually. Then, you slowly savor the smooth chocolate and lightly chew on the honey nougat to experience its full flavour.  It's a real sensual experience. I feel he was disrespectful to the Toblerone. Also, I feel weird that I have feelings about an imaginary person disrespecting a candy bar. Disclaimer: Toblerone is only chocolate bar I liked a child and it continues to be one of my favorite things to eat (MB + Toblerone = <3 forever).

3. Description of the American General's Taste In Women - At one point in the series, Martin tries to conjecture what sort of women the American General likes based on his taste in food. A long time ago, I read a study that showed food, sex, & music fired the same pleasure receptors in the brain.  As some of the US stuff can a bit on the conservative side, I appreciate a tv character publicly acknowledging this aspect of life.

4. Alexander Beyer - Excuse me, I am about to be rude...but he is the Salted Almond Toblerone of men.  He looks like Phil's cousin who is the second hottest man on earth.

Even if you don't have a thing for Toblerones, hot German men, or 80s music, I highly recommend Deutschland 83.

No comments:

Post a Comment